FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IrrOp: Credit where it's due
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:40 pm
D582

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because there could be a passenger confirmed in Y on that flight with a waitlisted upgrade.

My issue is that this jumps that whole "process by which it can obtain confirmed space in the J cabin".

I see this as no different than a GA upgrading their friend instead of you when you're at the top of the list.

They're making it "right" by getting them on the flight. They don't need to provide a free upgrade at the expense of other passengers.
I understand your perspective, but I don't necessarily agree that this is at the expense of other passengers. Someone who is waitlisted for an upgrade will get their upgrade if space is available - those are the terms of the programme. There are lots of legitimate ways that space can become unavailable just prior to departure which still result in someone at the top of the upgrade list not getting their upgrade.

A GA upgrading their friends is not OK, I agree. But this is not what happened here - the OP was stranded overnight due to AC, was already accommodated in a hotel and with meals (at AC's expense), and was originally rebooked in Y, the class of service they paid for. Then, when that re-booking looked like it would go south as well and OP might be stuck overnight somewhere else, the agent rebooked them on an itinerary which would hopefully prevent that and gave them a J seat (without OP asking or demanding this). Perhaps Y was sold out and J was wide open - I don't know. AC has already lost money on this booking due to the delay, EU compensation claim and overnight. If they can minimise additional costs to themselves while placating the customer as much as possible, then they've done well and provided what, in my view, is good customer service.

I'm sorry if you've not received a complimentary upgrade during IRROPS re-booking. I have. Many others have. It's never something I've asked for or expected, but always something that is appreciated