FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:57 am
unhappyflyer

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I believe AA has stated that it will be making available the facility to redeem upgrades into Premium Economy. At the moment, the agent is correct in that there is no upgrade using miles from economy to premium economy and so the agent shouldn't clear those with EP status into that cabin would you have actually been happy to have redeemed a SWU or the miles and only been given Premium Economy ?
That is a really thorny question. Given the difference between PE and Y on a 14 hour flight the answer would have been Y. But would it apply universally, not so sure. For me , my logic would be different for a gate upgrade as opposed to waiting for an upgrade to clear into J the days before departure.

The agent made it seem fairly clear that SWUs would soon be only for the next class of service. But I still do not understand the logic in the current system. If the agent is going to give away a free upgrade to a non-rev into PE, why can't they give that same free upgrade for an EP. They have the ability as they could treat it like irregular ops where an agent can put anybody in any seat at any time (if open).