FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:36 am
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Wait til you hear what happened now. Not sure this is the right thread. I booked some flights that used the old Virgin planes. We ALWAYS choose exit row, so I picked row 9. Everything was fine. Didn't ask for any money, figured, as an MVPG, that exit rows were still ok (free). This was a couple of months ago.

Fast forward to yesterday. Just looking at our upcoming reservation, and it says we owe $100! I call AS, and they say yes, you will have that money collected when you check in. Wha??? Because, I guess, only the 2 exit rows and bulkhead have any extra legroom, they are considered Premium?

So they took them away from us, right over the phone, and made me pick 2 other seats!

Maybe this is well known to all of you, but a first for us. I thought it was pretty crappy. IF they had said $100 charge for these seats at the time of booking, I would have realized it and picked something else on the spot. But to wait a few months? What if I didn't do that and they tried to collect at the airport, and there were only middles left?
I can't believe it has happened again!

On another upcoming flight, months ago I chose the free exit rows (17 - this is not a Virgin plane). Then a while back I saw that we had been "upgraded" to Premium, which I did not want. Well, the exit seats we wanted were no longer available, so we figured no big deal we'll just sit in premium. I wrote about this recently that I was annoyed I was tossed out of the exit row.

Well now it shows we owe $56 each for those premium seats!! What is going on??? I'm kicked out of the free seats I wanted, and am now expected to pay for seats I don't want?

I'm going to call on Monday but I just want to get some feedback here as to why this is happening and what I can do about it.

Leave the seats I pick alone!!!