FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:55 pm
GetawaysRus

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Some easy breezy new redemption highlights;

BARGAINS:
  • The Soi 57 FS: It is now Cat 3 or 17.5k pts/night. Plats usually get UGed to a two room suite with stunning views. The CL is top notch. The staff is excellent. The hotel is two blocks from the BTS station. The ThongLo neighborhood is clean and quiet with many trendy restaurants. Some do not like it being a little away from the main tourists and business areas while others find that an advantage. Personally this is my favorite hotel in BKK.
I'll ask for advice here and maybe someone will be kind enough to reply.

My wife and I are visiting Bangkok for the first time later this year. We're tourists and no business is involved. We are totally unfamiliar with Bangkok for the tourist.

My current status is Plat (also Lifetime Gold) and my wife is currently Gold (based on elite night credits). If I understand the new Marriott elite categories, I will become Platinum Premier on Aug 1 (and also Lifetime Plat) and she will become Plat.

I have a 5 night reservation at the Sukhumvit Soi 57 based on the positive comments I've seen. 4 of the nights are covered by (legacy) Chase category 1-5 e-certificates and 1 night is on points.

(1) I noticed that the Athenee will be a category 4 (25K points) and I'm wondering if I should consider a switch. To do this, after August 1, I'd have to see if I could switch over our 4 e-certificates. TripAdvisor rates the Athenee much higher than the Marriott Sukhumvit.

I know that this is a Marriott thread, but can anyone comment on the Athenee versus the Soi 57 for a tourist. Should I make the effort to switch hotels, or should I just be happy with what I've already got at the Soi 57? (I try very hard to treat my princess well.)

(2) Here's a second question. Looking at a map of the BTS, it looks like the Soi 57 is near the Thong Lo station and the Athenee is a short walk to the Phloen Chit station. If we were traveling to the Grand Palace, would that difference of 4 stations have any significant effect on our travel time?

Thanks.