FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else buy their own mini-shampoo and soaps?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:31 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Soap bars (mini-sized) & TP

DH has severe allergies, including to fragrances, so lathering up his body with unknown smelly substances (yikes, that sounds rather different from what I was intending! )... is of concern.

At home, we use Dove soap bars, the type with no fragrance/etc.

What I do is, as each bar gets partly/mostly used up, I grab it, and put out a fresh one.
I collect the "remainder bars" in a couple off sizes, and then we take the "sizes" we need depending upon travel pattern. Then I put them in little ziploc baggies.
For a lengthy stay, we might just bring a couple of new, regular sized bars. For single nights, I'll bring a "little one" for each single night. We then just leave it behind, and never need to deal with transporting wet soap.
For a few short stays, we'll take a few "not too tiny" remnants, or if we've got a bunch of little ones, I'll just take those.

As an additional tip, regarding TP... there can be places where one expects to need to provide one's own, and then there are the "surprise" locations...!
For those, I wait for rolls of TP at home to be "mostly used", and when there is something like 1/4 inch of the paper left on the roll, I remove it and replace with a new bar of soap... I mean roll of TP .
Each "partial roll" just gets flattened, and several can go in a ziploc. (Sucking the air out, makes it a packet that can fit just about anywhere, as it's rather pliable.)
And 2-3 of them in a small ziplock can easily fit in just about any small pack/purse "just in case" one is surprised with a TP shortage when needed.

I think it took our housekeeper a bit of time to realize that we *really* did not want those soap and TP "dregs" thrown out, and we hadn't lost our minds!

GC