FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: YVR connecting time? (2 tickets)
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:37 pm
pitz

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
At the airport in ICN, the AC agent
(I had the same theory but deleted my post earlier upon this realization)

... Only problem is, the OP won't be interacting with an AC agent at ICN. He will be interacting with an Asiana, Air China, etc., agent for the ICN-PEK segment that ultimately connects to AC in PEK. Even if the AC check-in is open for their 2X daily to Canada, they can't do anything to a ticket whose first segment is on another carrier.

So whether the linking can be accomplished by the ICN check-in agent is questionable. Language, IT, policy, or even training barriers could exist.

If it were a pure all-AC itinerary, then there would be, without question, an ability to link the tickets and have a purely on-line connection with (auto)-protection for a misconnect at YVR.

But its obviously a mixture of 2 carriers, so there is certainly the possibility that a proper linking of the tickets could not be accomplished by the airline in question at check-in. An AC gate agent at PEK (the first interaction the OP would have with AC staff) might not be able to accomplish such either, and certainly would not be able to re-tag the bags. Although I have seen, at YVR Int'l baggage re-check after customs, a pile of bag tags printed out and waiting for passengers who were anticipated to need baggage re-routing.

Best way to go is the long connection (hanging out in YVR isn't the end of the world!), or have it all put on the same ticket or PNR's that are verified to be linked prior to the departure date. At baggage re-check, they might even be willing to put the OP on an onwards flight sooner if he explains the situation and the red eye is looking heavily booked.

Last edited by pitz; Jun 29, 2018 at 6:49 pm