FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:21 pm
MiniC

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, UA PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Wait til you hear what happened now. Not sure this is the right thread. I booked some flights that used the old Virgin planes. We ALWAYS choose exit row, so I picked row 9. Everything was fine. Didn't ask for any money, figured, as an MVPG, that exit rows were still ok (free). This was a couple of months ago.

Fast forward to yesterday. Just looking at our upcoming reservation, and it says we owe $100! I call AS, and they say yes, you will have that money collected when you check in. Wha??? Because, I guess, only the 2 exit rows and bulkhead have any extra legroom, they are considered Premium?

So they took them away from us, right over the phone, and made me pick 2 other seats!

Maybe this is well known to all of you, but a first for us. I thought it was pretty crappy. IF they had said $100 charge for these seats at the time of booking, I would have realized it and picked something else on the spot. But to wait a few months? What if I didn't do that and they tried to collect at the airport, and there were only middles left?
In June, row 9 was converted from Main Cabin to Premium Class; this was done at the same time Red was reprogrammed to start charging for meals/snacks. Since you purchased the seats before this conversion was made, the system wouldn't have prompted you to pay for an upgrade fee. Though I'm not sure why you weren't given a free upgrade to Premium Class, since you are MVPG.