FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:47 pm
penner42

Originally Posted by lokkju
That seems to be what's going on, but it doesn't exactly match their benefit statement...

Hmm; it's too late for me to try this time, but I'll try that next time; It's possible that it displays a price, and shows a button that says "proceed to payment", but won't actually charge me. It just seems unlikely.
Originally Posted by fumje
I believe that is the way it has worked for a while — that it does sometimes display a price and say 'proceed to payment' but then proceeds to finish check-in without payment. However, it is possible something has changed, in which case my description is outdated.
I don't have any flights to check right now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a screen (doing this on dekstop, not mobile) that specifically says something to the effect of "it will show prices when you select your seats, but you won't be charged at confirmation." I'm like 99.99% sure I've seen that message when checking in on my computer instead of my phone.

Originally Posted by elperro
Think about it this way - if you have a flight going AAA-BBB-CCC then the Silver elites on the BBB-CCC segment can't select an E+ seat until 24 hours, so the passenger traveling on AAA-CCC cannot either. It's unfair to those originating in BBB who are entitled to the same benefit. In this case the system is enforcing the rules correctly IMHO.
Except that's not what the benefits say. It specifically says "at check-in" not at "T-24." They're free to make the rules whatever they want, but the way they are currently you should get E+ for all the flights for that part of the itinerary. (And that's how it actually works.)