FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport emergency !!
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:44 am
alexmom

Originally Posted by flyerCO
EU countries are exempt from 6 month rule for entry to US.

There's one question in my mind. The wording says they're exempt, but must be able to prove they will leave by expiration of passport. Don't know how that applies to a resident permit holder.
A few years ago, I had no issue getting back into the US with my Green Card & a passport from a SE Asian country that was 2 months before expiring. Before I left the US I researched it (but now I don't remember where I got the info) and was positive enough that I won't have issue with my passport before I left the US for a vacation with my son to my home country. I think I even remember reading that for Green Card holder, you can even reenter to the US with an expired passport - but I wouldn't think any airline will allow you to check in.

I did have a little issue when checking into the flights on the way back. The airline first said they couldn't check me in because my passport was about to expire in 2 months. I showed them my Permanent Residency card, they click click click on their computer and confirmed that it was okay for me to reenter the US.