FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:56 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by swag
I don't buy this at all.

I've been through air/hotel mergers before, and I don't remember ever having to grant permission to merge accounts, Certainly not in the sense that denying permission or just ignoring it was a viable alternative. You're correct that they can minimize IT and customer service headaches if they get positive confirmation in advance that the accounts holders actually match, but that's exactly what the account linking did.

Once we've linked accounts, they shouldn't need additional permission. The customer has confirmed the accounts match, so there should be no errors introduced by the merge process. An exception would be if there were some benefit to delaying the merge, for example if they decided that once you merge, you can no longer qualify for lifetime status in the legacy programs, but there's not yet been any indication that this will be the case.
Way too many corner cases that can creep up in whatever process they choose. There have been program postings asking us to make sure our emails are matched up too. Personally, I use unique usernames for most of my accounts, so I may be headed for trouble if I don't change it up. That's why I try to read as much as I can, especially from MR & SPG to try and understand what's about to happen and what works best for me.