FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:38 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
When they initially rolled out PC, they got some complaints from elites upset about being moved from exit rows to premium class seats. They currently indicate on PC FAQs that those seated in exit row seats at their upgrade window will not automatically be moved to premium class. It seems like they could control this better with the check-boxes for Waitlist for Premium Class / Waitlist for First Class at booking rather than assume exit row folks don't want to move up. They could also just make exit row seats part of premium class and throw some free drinks the fig bar at those seats as well, but I guess this process is what we have for the time being.

Bottom line: if you're an elite in an exit row seat and want a premium class seat, move yourself at your upgrade window.
I always check Upgrade to first and deliberately do NOT check Upgrade to Premium, and sometimes we get moved anyway, which is bad for us. This has happened on an upcoming flight and when I noticed it, our exit row seats were already gone. It's not that long of a flight so we'll survive, but I wish they would just do as you tell them.