FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:24 pm
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry if misunderstood your point. I think it was quite obvious I was talking about how the hotel pays the housekeepers. Post I was originally replying to had issue about how housekeepers are paid. While I know a few hotels use a contractor, basically every hotel I've stayed at employs them directly. The housekeeper may work for more than one hotel. Even small motels usually employ the housekeeper directly. Regardless if they work direct for hotel, or for a contractor, they are non-exempt employees and thus min. wage by the hour applies.
Our experiences may be different and that's just fine. Yes, the worker should be making at least minimum wage. But the property promoting a program that could reduce their costs is not unreasonable.

Bringing it back to points. I can't imagine the cost of the points are in anyway a major amount. Just seems petty compared with overall expenses. It's not like every guest, every stay, is asking for them.
It's not the cost of the points, but the cost of employee, whether direct hire or contract. If they get their hours cut when we use the benefit then I have no issue in passing on the small number of points and tell them to mark me as being done.