FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:02 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
And if you read the portion of my post that you quoted, the employer (i.e. the contractor) is the one responsible for meeting the minimum wage law and the property (the client) may very well be paying by room. I've met some workers that rush from one property to another to make as much as they can in a day. My point here is different people have different motivations (reducing costs to maximizing income to maximizing points). Most times I will forego the points and dismiss or just ask for towels if I'm in the room at the time housekeeping comes by.
Sorry if misunderstood your point. I think it was quite obvious I was talking about how the hotel pays the housekeepers. Post I was originally replying to had issue about how housekeepers are paid. While I know a few hotels use a contractor, basically every hotel I've stayed at employs them directly. The housekeeper may work for more than one hotel. Even small motels usually employ the housekeeper directly. Regardless if they work direct for hotel, or for a contractor, they are non-exempt employees and thus min. wage by the hour applies.

Bringing it back to points. I can't imagine the cost of the points are in anyway a major amount. Just seems petty compared with overall expenses. It's not like every guest, every stay, is asking for them.