FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:00 am
be_rettSEA

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by akdancer
On a recent flight, SFO-SEA, I was on the list. I had checked in the day before (exit row as booked). Day of flight, I was looking at the open seats, and noticed 7D open (other PC seats open were middles). I chose it, even though the screen showed a $29 fee, and I got the seat - never saw a "pay now" request. I guess I jumped over those ahead of me on the list (I was #5 ), but with the confusion of one list for two categories, who can tell?

PC as a "product" has been weird (meaning unclear, irregular, and inconsistent treatment by/from the software) ever since it started. My pet peeve is that, although you can select "upgrade to PC" when seated in an exit row, the software will not do this, ASAIK. So weird.
When they initially rolled out PC, they got some complaints from elites upset about being moved from exit rows to premium class seats. They currently indicate on PC FAQs that those seated in exit row seats at their upgrade window will not automatically be moved to premium class. It seems like they could control this better with the check-boxes for Waitlist for Premium Class / Waitlist for First Class at booking rather than assume exit row folks don't want to move up. They could also just make exit row seats part of premium class and throw some free drinks the fig bar at those seats as well, but I guess this process is what we have for the time being.

Bottom line: if you're an elite in an exit row seat and want a premium class seat, move yourself at your upgrade window.