FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do airlines keep a list of potential organ donees in need of priority for a seat?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:10 am
jspira

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm going to approach this from the perspective of someone who worked on a transplant unit for more than a decade.

His life depends on getting an organ. So why the hell isn't he in St. Louis already?

Does he really, really, really understand how short the "shelf life" for a harvested organ is? And when the hospital says be here in 6 hours, they want you being prepped for surgery in 6 hours, not on a plane circling and hoping a gate opens up soon? If you'd said he was in Oakland and on a list in LA or Seattle, I can see trying to get there last minute, but St. Louis? How many non-stop flights are there per 24 hours?

The fact that he lives in a part of California where there are some of the top transplant programs in the world and he's on list so far away suggests a couple more things to me that I won't go into on a public forum, but all of which suggest that the best advice to him is not about flights, it's about rethinking why he's not putting himself in the best possible position to get the transplant that would save his life.
My thoughts exactly although in reverse order. I first wondered why he's on a list so far away and not on lists closer to home. If he's really near the top of the list in St. Louis, I can't imagine any reason why he's not there already. There are so many things that can interfere with a flight, as FT members know, that missing a transplant due to WX or MX would be far worse than missing a wedding or Bar Mitzvah.