FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To Bhutan
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:11 pm
DanielW

Originally Posted by offerendum
Again a very special report^ Have to read it in detail later....
Thanks, offerendum, yes quite a unique country.
Originally Posted by zip10001
I also visited Bhutan in 2017. Your TR brings back great memories. Thank you for sharing with us.
Cheers, zip10001, great to hear you had a wonderful time in Bhutan too.
Originally Posted by londonfog
Wow!
Just the flight from Nepal to Bhutan is enough to make me terribly jealous!
Great photos as usual. Unfortunately, due to the state of my back your TR is my only way to vicariously enjoy Bhutan!
Thank you, londonfog. Hopefully your back recuperates in time for my Pakistan TR.
Originally Posted by mlpinto
I'm horribly jealous as I usually am when I see your reports! Thanks for writing this up - it looks like a fascinating place to visit.
Many thanks, mlpinto. Yes, quite a contrast from neighbouring India and Nepal. Only ~700,000 people and literally all mountains and valleys.
Originally Posted by flapland
Wow what a amazing place and trip report. It brings back some memories of trips in Yunnan China in the mid 2000 as some of the sights are similar. Shame the altitude is just a little high as my partner suffers for sickness above about 2000m otherwise I think would put it on the must visit list.
Thanks, flapland. I have heard that Yunnan cuisine is quite spicy also, with lots of chili's like the Bhutanese prefer.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by omaralt
amazing report! how long did it take you to adjust to the elevation? i went to Leh last year and spent about 24 hours in a drunken stupor before my body acclimated, but you seem to be up and about right away!
Cheers, omaralt. The altitude wasn't too bad, I didn't really notice it even after travelling from (sea-level) Dubai. By the time I did the Tiger Nest hike I was well adjusted anyway.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by hauteboy
We went to Bhutan in 2009. Paro and Thimphu are only 7200-7600 feet so I didn't have any acclimatization issues. I just got back from Lhasa (12000') where I did have some pretty bad headaches.
We just did a day trip up to 4,140 m / 13,300 ft in Argentina and I was literally gasping!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Great report as always! I need to work on my Tibet trip report. Looks like Paro airport is busy now
Many thanks, hauteboy. Tibet must be a magical place too. Yes, the airport was busy, was surprised that such a tiny country has two airlines too!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Lovely
Yes, very!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Looks like a great trip to a very scenic country. Interestingly enough, Bhutan is one of the very few counties Indians can enter visa-free.
Thank you, ChiefNWA. I saw a few Indian tour groups when I was there. Bhutan seems to have quite good ties with India, with India providing alot of aid and security over the years.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by 757
Thank you for sharing, Daniel. I would love to visit Bhutan - it looks like a very interesting and beautiful country! As always, great report and photos from all your travels. I felt like I was along for the trip.
Best - Matthew
Thanks, 757. Yes, quite a fascinating country, from the way they limit tourists to their unique geography and rich culture. Definitely worth the cost of visiting though.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by blueferrari
Great report. But apparently spring still being the best time going to Bhutan. I was expecting green lush of scenery.
anyway, where can I apply for Indian citizenship?
Many thanks, blueferrari. Yes, you have to time your visit right, apparently it gets very wet during the rainy season.