FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting an award segment ticket to a regular fare ticket
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:58 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2stepbay
I presume I can link the Award Saver tx and the Economy fare ticket so my bags travel from Phila to Cape Town. Is that correct?
Yes, although it can be a bit of a challenge for an agent to figure out how to do it. Arrive early.

Which leads me to my 2nd question - Connection. If I book the late flight via Award Saver and for whatever reason that flight is delayed leading to a missed FRA flight, would I incur a $$ penalty for the missed flight?
United is normally pretty good about rebooking passengers when they miss a flight due to separate tickets if both flights are United-operated. However, I'd personally book a long layover to be safe. Well, what I'd actually do is drive or take the train and start the trip from Washington. But I'm assuming you've already considered that option.

Can I book the outbound of this ticket at a lower economy class (as I'm not 1K at this time) and the inbound at a higher economy class to allow me the use of the GPU when it becomes available in early November?
In most cases, yes. Do a search by fare class in the Advanced Search options, then ignore the "Selected Fare Class" column on the outbound, but choose it on the return. Most (not all) UA fares can be combined with each other in this manner.