FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:13 pm
davidsc111

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What would be the benefit to Marriott in providing additional benefit to LTPP? Those at the level still doing significant business with Marriott will have present status and benefit from that, so we are really talking people no longer doing much business. Those still qualifying for LTP, who will be doing lots of business, will never be able to get LTPP so will Marriott want them to think they can never attain the really cool level or will Marriott want them to think LTP is just as good? It makes no sense for Marriott to do anything that makes LTPP significantly better than LTP. LTPP is not a group Marriott will want to court, we are a group Marriott has to deal with because of past promises. Marriott is not a charity, it is a business looking to maximize profits and we LTPP just aren't an important market in that reference.
What you fail to grasp is that they do have a business interest in incentivizing people to stay more than 50 nights. LTP and LTPP are the same as P and PP for guests currently staying all the time (minus the suite certs). It's like when AA only had three levels...I knew I would never get to 100k miles so as soon as I got Plat I switched to another carrier and had elite status in both. You're right if the decision only affected lifetime status members but it impacts everyone...so I suspect PP will be better than just P