FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To Bhutan
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:36 am
DanielW

Day 2.

The view from my hotel room with clear blue skies again today on the morning of day 2.

Breakfast at the hotel before checking out and meeting up with Hem and Seren for some more sightseeing.

Arriving at our first stop, Memorial Chorten.

Memorial Chorten is a stupa built in 1974 to honor the third Bhutanese King, Jigme Dorji Wangchuck, and grandfather to the current king, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck. We then joined the numerous residents of the city walking clockwise around the stupa while they recited prayers at the start of their day.

And spinning the prayer wheels for a blessing.

After a short drive up the hill we arrived at the Buddha Dordenma statue. The 52 metre tall statue was built for the 60th anniversary of the fourth Bhutanese King, Jigme Singye Wangchuck.

Kanthaka, a favourite white horse of Prince Siddhartha and whom later became Buddha. The statue was completed in 2015 after nine years of construction and at a cost of $47 million.

Two of the many statues of dakinis (sky dancers) or ‘female messengers of wisdom’ surrounding the Buddha Dordenma.

We then headed off for a trek through the nearby Kuensel Phodrang Nature Park that is situated in the hills above Thimphu.

Prayer flags fluttering in the breeze with the north of Thimphu beyond.

The trail is said to be used by the King for mountain biking and it seemed to be the perfect place for it.

Looking down the valley to the southern end of Thimphu.

It was great to be out and about in the almost perfect weather.

Tashichho Dzong in the distance before we made our descent back down into the city.

Back in central Thimphu where I met up with Ms. Maya, whom I had been emailing back and forth at Raven Tours to organise my trip. She had started out as an intern at the company while Hem was a tour guide and they were now husband and wife.

Enjoying a lassi with my gift of lemongrass spray that Ms. Maya had given me.

We then hit the road again for the one hour drive back to Paro.

Rinpung Dzong beside the Paro Chhu just after we arrived in Paro.

I had asked Hem earlier about having some authentic Bhutanese food so we headed into town to see how my tastebuds would cope with the super spicy cuisine.

Apart from the red rice, all the dishes had some measure of chili added. On the far right is the super spicy Ema datshi, a national dish of Bhutan. It is made from chili peppers and cheese; "ema" means "chili" and "datshi" means "cheese". I only managed a small bite of the Ema datshi before I was gulping down the water!

After the fiery but very tasty lunch we headed up the hill to the National Museum of Bhutan. The main building was closed for repair after an earthquake in 2011 and instead they had a sample of exhibits in an adjacent annexe.

The original museum building was built in 1649 as a ta dzong (watchtower) to protect the Rinpung Dzong in the valley below.

Looking down the valley to Rinpung Dzong.

And at the entrance of Rinpung Dzong after walking down the hill.

Just inside was a very colourful mural of the six realms of existence of Saṃsāra: gods, demi-gods, humans, animals, hungry ghosts and hells.

Inside the dochey (courtyard), the five storey tall utse (central tower). Built in 1644, the dzong survived an earthquake in 1897 but was severely damaged by fire in 1907.

Looking north-west along Paro Valley.

To the south with the Nyamai Zam, a traditional wooden covered bridge that spans the Paro Chhu river.

And a panoramic shot of the valley.

Crossing Nyamai Zam. Earlier versions of the bridge were removed in time of war to protect the dzong.

We then went for a stroll down the main street of Paro.

Shopkeeper.

The goods were from both neighbouring China and India.

Phallus art for sale. Bhutan has celebrated the phallus for centuries and its origins have been traced either to a popular Bhutanese saint or pre-Buddhist pagan rituals.

Local teenagers hanging out in Paro town centre.

Looking down the runway of Paro Airport as we made the short drive to the hotel.

And about to check in for my two night stay at Tashi Namgay Resort.

Welcome hot towel.

A short walk to my unit, #125 , just up the hill.

The interior decor was modern but with touches of traditional Bhutanese design.

I was impressed that the bathroom had an actual bath too.

And the view from my patio of the airport across the river.

Dinner was at the hotel again. They had quite a few Indian guests (who are the biggest visitors to the country and are exempt from the daily tourist fee) so the buffet was mainly Indian food with chicken curry and paneer.

And enjoying some bread pudding and honey for dessert at the end of day 2.