FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Colombia - 19% VAT for tourists ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:47 pm
trooper

Originally Posted by yulmichael
Thank you very much for your informed reply.
I'll probably not bother with the VAT-refund process.
In BOG , I'm staying 4 nights with SPG points so no tax. In CTG , out of 6 nights , 3 will be with IHG points and only 3 are on paid stay ,so the VAT will not become a
big deal.
Now , on another matter.
I have read the above link (thecitypaperbogota),about Colombia wanting to encourage tourism.Well, in my opinion , the major thing they should do is to eliminate the
Reciprocity fee.Do they think that CANADA cares whether I travel to Colombia or not .

I was surprised by the fee 2 years ago and had to pay $140 for me and my wife.( it is my fault that I didn't know about the fee ). Anyway , now I will travel to COLOMBIA
with a foreign Passport ,not a Canadian , and will need to pay the fee only for my wife.
This certainly doesn't encourage tourism as it only punishes Canadian citizens and not the Canadian government.( the same applies to Argentina and Chile )
O.K. , enough with my rants.
Thanks again for the info.
Michael
Well..it IS a "Reciprocity" fee..... imposed presumably because Canada charges Colombians to enter Canada. Presumably if enough CANADIANS wanted to do something about it they could lobby their own representatives to remove the fee charged to Colombians. Seems an appropriate way to apply pressure to me!