FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:14 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sanggyu88
…..In the end, I understand it is just a seat assignment, but we paid a lot of money for these tickets and made sure to do everything well in advance to avoid a situation like this.

Thoughts?
1. Welcome to FT!

2. This has happened to me twice in the past year. The first time, I didn’t catch it and my seat was already given to someone else.

The second time, I monitored EF and the AC seat map together and caught it early enough and my original seat just went empty with no clue from the AC res agent. No equipment swaps.

3. Yes, for some reason, when you buy a ticket that includes seat selection (e.g. in business class), you are not really guaranteed that seat and I have no idea why.

Originally Posted by sanggyu88
…...I am offered a vague promise of compensation for this mistake. The agents could not tell me what it was going to be and that he would send a written correspondence to the appropriate department for compensation. I ask if I can speak to that department directly and am told that they only communicate via e-mail and mail (seriously?)……..
Yup, you have to use the online form. You can include attachments.

I would make sure you include your original ticket showing date and seat confirmation. Because I don't trust the systems, I screen shot everything at purchase and at various points along the way prior to travel. Others here may see that as a waste of time, but that is what works for me, and it has been useful.

As for AC opening up an IT ticket, that will make no difference as I've reported errors on their website that remained un-solved/ un-addressed for months.

Last resort would be to do what we did on one trip and very nicely asked a person travelling alone if they would swap so we could sit together as we originally planned.

Good luck and safe travels.