FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:57 pm
sanggyu88

Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, but first time poster.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to any of you and what you all think of this situation.

I booked round trip business class tickets for my wife and I departing on June 24 for YVR - ICN (2 days from today). I booked this ticket back in the middle of March and made our seat selections immediately (1A,2A). All was find until 2 days ago when I double checked out flight info and saw our seats were changed randomly. Our original seats were still available so I just re-selected them.

Flash forward to today, I check it this morning and no problem. I just checked it again and now they were changed AGAIN to 8A and 2K. Now it shows that the seats I originally selected were now unavailable and taken.

I called Air Canada Reservations and after an hour long conversation am told that this was a "system glitch" and that no agent has changed anything on their system to move my seats (No equipment change, schedule change or interruption). The agent calls various different people and tells me no one can figure this out and a ticket needs to be opened for their IT department to find out what happened and get back to them and me.

With today being a Friday evening and flight on a Sunday morning, I doubt I will hear anything back or get my seats back.

I am offered a vague promise of compensation for this mistake. The agents could not tell me what it was going to be and that he would send a written correspondence to the appropriate department for compensation. I ask if I can speak to that department directly and am told that they only communicate via e-mail and mail (seriously?).

Anyways, he tells me that he has left a note for the check-in agent to try to accommodate my original seats and am told by this agent to be "extremely nice" to the check in agent to see if they will help me out. (I understand this problem is not due to the agent I am speaking with on the phone or the check-in agent but seriously, be "extremely-nice" when a mistake was made against me?)

In the end, I understand it is just a seat assignment, but we paid a lot of money for these tickets and made sure to do everything well in advance to avoid a situation like this.

Thoughts?