FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First memory of BA?
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:57 am
redrose59

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Originally Posted by redrose59
Oh the trauma that this thread has resurrected.............

My first flight with BA was from MAN to LHR to JNB when we were emigrating to South Africa on 1st September 1982. Lots of family and friends had come to see us off, after many hugs, good wishes and fond farewells the sight of seeing my dad cry for the first time ever in my 22 years of life was too much for me. I trudged through to the gate with a very heavy heart, a pocket full of soaking tissues and wondering "what the heck have I done"? We walked out to the plane across the tarmac, me with my little Union Flag waving in the direction of the terminal, tears streaming down my face. Hubby giving my hand a squeeze of support and ending up with soggy tissue stuck to his fingers. I sobbed all the way to Heathrow, goodness knows what the other passengers thought.

Having got myself together for the flight to JNB, I settled into my seat ready for the long flight to our new life and all the adventures that it might bring. Getting the headphones out and finding the music channel I sat back, hoping to hear something uplifting but to my dispair the first song which came on was "Hurry Home" by Wave Length. Cue more sobbing and snivelling. To this day if I hear that song all I can see is my poor old Dads tears as he said goodbye to me at Manchester.
About 6 weeks later we received a letter from my mum and dad along with photographs of us walking out to the plane, every single sobbing flag waving step! And the plane taking off...........wheres the tissues?
I was up in the loft this morning and dug out the evidence of my traumatic journey. Maybe someone can identify the aircraft which bore witness to the tissues and tears of 36 years ago! We are unrecognisable these days, I'm 3 stone lighter and Mr Redrose is a head of hair lighter. This is the first time I have put photos on FT so please forgive me if I haven't done it correctly ( admin please remove if I've broken any rules) also sorry for the quality of the pics and the crimes against fashion!

The long walk....