FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA vs DL / Delta Dimestic First comparison
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:31 pm
Gig103

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by metallo
Every time I consider flying DL more regularly, I think about what it would be like connecting at DL hubs and, in my mind, it's not pretty. I dislike connecting in ATL and MSP, and the DL JFK terminal is a downright embarrassment. They also wanted me to connect at CVG on regional equipment in IROPS a few months ago, and I declined. Also, I haven't been through LAX with them recently, but T2/T3 seems like a downgrade from T5. Granted, PHX is a weak link for AA and is desperately in need of renovation, and CLT isn't a great experience either (note the negative LUS trend here), but I generally don't mind AA's hubs overall.

I also have both Sky Club and Admirals Club memberships, and while the club food selections are better with DL, the seemingly perpetual overcrowding and lack of international business/first lounges are really big negatives.

The biggest thing DL has going right now to me is competitively priced premium cabin fares, so I'll fly them when the price/schedule is right, but otherwise AA will probably continue to get most of my business.
I appreciate the perspective and am trying to go into it open minded. Since I redeemed miles for my trips this year and won't have AAny status in 2019, I figure now's the time to see for myself. So far, my limited experience with DL I mostly am annoyed by the frequent schedule changes that happen on weekends. Also, from Phoenix trying to get anywhere in California except LAX means a connection at LAX or SLC. Blech. And Skypesos, I already get the name from a few sample searches.

I hear that Skyclubs are overcrowded often, and figure it's because there are so many options to gain entry compared to AA. I'll have access myself with an Amex Plat when not flying international J. I also prefer the OW lounges at LAX (AA Flagship is especially grand), and comparing LHR to AMS. But LHR is a worse airport to transit.