FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels that don't include breakfast, but gives Diamond members?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Best Western is also often an option in small towns where there what you call the "recognized" hotel brands don't have a presence at all. You alternatives then might be only Choice or WyndhamRewards, which are no better with elite benefits.
Agreed completely on that point. I've been in many small towns and rural areas where I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a Best Western instead of a Super 8 or Motel 6 where the quality can be all over the board.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But you haven't traveled far and wide enough if you think that you can't find anomalies in those "recognized' hotel programs. Fairfield Inn is a Marriott program brand that has breakfast for all, right? Except that there's a Fairfield Inn in Anaheim that has no breakfast at all for anyone! Your Marriott Gold status will do you no good at that particular Fairfield Inn.
I have encountered that a couple of times. However, I would argue that you're more likely to see a Best Western without a breakfast than a Fairfield without one. In addition if you focus on the upscale brands within the chain (i.e. Marriott, JW Marriott) you're almost certain to get free breakfast as a Gold (my understanding is that the number of Marriotts/JW Marriotts without complimentary breakfast can be counted on your hands). I guess my argument is you're more likely to have a consistent experience at a Marriott than at a Best Western. Similarly, you're more likely have a consistent experience at a Best Western compared to a Super 8 or Motel 6.

Safe Travels,

James