FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:24 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
If BA cancels a flight on me (LHR-XXX) 8 hours before departure, and also before my connecting and preceeding MUC-LHR and only offers me alternatives that get me to my destination on the next day, 21 hours late, where exactly do I stand?

I arranged alternative travel and BA were happy to cancel and fully refund my whole booking, but this obviously had an increased cost for me. BA refused to book my suggested alternative for me even though it was on AA, a JB partner. My expectation is that taking matters into my own hands means I chose to take the costs of the higher fare to get there in time, but that BA should still be on the hook for €600 EU Comp. The cancellation was operational, I assume a 787 problem, but of course they are not telling me that yet. Is my reading correct?
BA are currently claiming (mostly) that the main 787 cancellations are extraordinary circumstances and therefore not eligible for compensation. That is more than open to debate, but it is probably wise not to assume 100% that you are going to get Article 7 compensation, not least depending the the alternative arrangements. If you check the dispatch notes on Expertflyer you will get a more clues as to whether this is going to get compensation from the presence of a Y on the delay coding. For the rest - the rebooking - that would depend on various factors and details, and if a 001 ticket then I suspect AA would be OK to rebook. If 125 then BA are probably within their rights here, overall, but as ever the details may be relevant here.