FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:53 am
Stranger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

Fortunately the levels of redundancy built in to the industry as a whole make commercial flying in Canada an extremely low-risk proposition.
Dangerous statement. When the regulator finds issues with the self-regulation, it would seem to mean that self-regulation is not working as it should. Definitely grounds for some alarm and definitely action. The fox in charge of the chicks...

Self-regulation presupposes a culture of safety. Not sure how that works once the bean counters end up in full control. I keep reminding myself of the Challenger disaster, politicians (in that case, bean counters at airlines) overriding the engineers.

Safety is expensive, and convincing oneself that "there is enough redundancy" of course helps with the bottom line. But accidents are more expensive. I note that none of the top people at AC is either a pilot or an engineer, and I must say, I don't like it.