FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:00 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 6/13 - 6/15

Location: The hotel is located on the corner of California and Mason Streets in the Nob Hill Neighborhood. While I felt on my visit that a lot of San Francisco is suffering from a massive homeless population, some of whom are very aggressive, it's not noticeable in this neighborhood. The California Avenue trolley had a stop right outside the hotel or you can walk about a mile to Montgomery Street or Embarcadeo BART stations. Just be advised any walks south or east involve a steep downhill and obviously steep uphill on the way back.

Hotel: Beautiful from the outside. A classic Depression era building that's inviting and has sweeping views of the city and the bay. There's a small lobby bar and of course on the 19th floor is the Top of the Mark restaurant and bar which features great views of the city.

(Top of the Mark)

Check In: Handled by a very friendly agent who confirmed my upgrade to a "deluxe" room and prepared keys for me. No issues getting a 4 PM late checkout my last day.

Room: Pretty disappointing. In a word it's old. While I don't mind the older style building and older style lobby, the room itself was depressing. No outlets near the bed, small closet, absurdly tiny bathroom without enough room to put one person's toiletries on the shelf let alone two etc. I was glad I wasn't spending too much time in the room. My welcome amenity was a fruit bowl, one bottle of Evian and a box with two truffles in it.

Other: The Top of the Mark is a great place for drinks. They have an incredible liquor selection and very friendly staff. Their bar bites menu is a little weak but not as expensive as you might think. I also had room service breakfast my second day which was done well.

I spent a lot on this hotel (something like $750 for two nights) and was disappointed by the room which cancelled out the service and the location. Not sure I'd be back.