FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:18 pm
Antarius
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Not sure that analogy works, as the hotel would incur additional costs when placing people on a club level floor. But, an upgrade to a premium view (ocean, park, etc) wouldn't cost the hotel anything. Maybe that's a better analogy. Personally, I'd never complain that a hotel chain was horrible because they didn't give someone that isn't even an occasional guest something for like that for free.

Some concept holds for car rentals. I wouldn't expect free upgrades from economy to a premium cars for everyone just because those premium vehicles aren't reserved.
fair enough. I figured given the club is staffed and food prepared, the incremental cost is minimal for 50 people vs 5. But yes, they do not invariably give people changes just because capacity is available.

Wrt the car example, if the car is reserved by you for a 6 pm rental start and you show up at 10 am, you will possibly pay for more time even if the car is not used in between 10 am and your scheduled pickup.