FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:45 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
How many points do you currently have? Do you have another person in your household? You could do this if you have points to do so:

1) transfer all your points into SPG
2) transfer all SPG points to someone else in your household's account
3) have them transfer all SPG points in their account into their MR account
4) have them transfer all MR points in their account to your account

Rinse and repeat.
You can do step 4 up to the amount of a whatever award you can afford, but I don't believe you can rinse and repeat this step.

I just completed these four steps and redeemed (and have already used) a Travel Package. While it's possible I could have redeposited the hotel cert (at a loss) and tried it again, I'm not sure if Marriott would have allowed it the second time. Some have said that the exception to the 50k cap (in order to book an award) is only once per year. A second cycle would seem like *really* stretching the rules...I have to think the phone agent would notice that, especially if you canceled and redeposited a hotel award. (Whether they'd do anything, I have no idea.)

In order to do this, your household member will have to make a 20-30 minute phone call to Marriott. And that's assuming you've given him/her a pretty thorough script with your award stay already booked, your FF# (if a Travel Package), your MR#, their MR#, and all other email/contact information for both accounts.

I'd only count on being able to do one cycle this way.