FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:32 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
EC261 does not cover consequential loss. Nor does the Montreal Convention. You will need to meet any additional costs from your own pocket - unlike the advice given above, I’d say it’s extremely unlikely travel insurance will have clauses to cover these specifically, unless you have a very, very good policy.
Well my view is that Montréal does cover consequential losses, it's just that the airlines so far have been fairly successful with claiming Montréal's version of extraordinary circumstances and unlike Europe, so far the courts have been seemingly OK with a tight definition. I think the area of the Consumer Rights Act and Montréal may, may give a bit of scope here. But this may be more than academic. Traditionally BA don't cover extra car parking fees, though as you note some airports are forgiving in this area. I suspect BA may well cover buying more clothes, assuming there is no access to baggage, but laundry fees they won't cover (they don't normally pay this even with delayed luggage). To some degree the 600€ per person can be seen to cover this sort of cost.

As for @Lewis King he will note that at least some passengers with shiny cards were offered the Air France alternative. Looking at the Monday departures, they now seem all sold out (surprise!) though there are some seats on the Kenya Airways' Nairobi service.