FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:00 pm
Thomas Chen

AA Ticketing Agent Denies That They Issue eVouchers

Story time!

My paper voucher expires in 10 days so I book a one-way flight to Japan departing in 3 weeks over the phone and told the agent I would present the voucher at an aa ticketing counter later today. When I arrive at the ticketing counter to redeem the voucher, I find a disgruntled, slightly stressed, middle-aged woman manning the desk. She's arguing with some passengers because they missed their check-in window and were unhappy that they had to rebook on another flight. When it was my turn, I try to redeem the voucher, she informs me matter-of-factly that I would need either a visa into Japan or an onward flight before they can issue the ticket. Fine. Not an uncommon requirement. I've done this many times before.

So I exit the line and hop on skyscanner and find a flight from Japan to Korea on a budget airline and book it. I return to the counter and proudly display the proof of onward travel, but the agent tells me that I need yet another onward ticket exiting Korea or a Korean visa before I can redeem my voucher!

What?! I need an onward onward flight as well?! She had a calm demeanor but I can sense a wicked smile behind her glassy eyes.

I could feel my rage level rising. I take a deep breath, smile, and calm down. After a bit of cordial back and forth, the agent tells me she can issue the ticket but I need to get a Korean visa before I board the flight or they will deny me from boarding.

So! Do I really need to secure a visa to the second country or provide a full flight itinerary back to the US before I can get on the plane? I've been traveling non-stop for the last year and I don't know when I'm coming back, so it isn't realistic for me to book out all my flights in advance. To me, it smells like BS. It feels like the agent was trying to delay the voucher redemption since the expiration is so close, hoping that I would give up trying to redeem the voucher because I can't get a visa in time.

Anyway, she gives me a receipt for an eTicket and provides the balance of the voucher back to me as another paper voucher. I ask for an eVoucher and she says aa does not provide eVouchers. Is this lady just lying to my face non-stop?? Is she just assuming everyone is stupid or is she telling the truth?