FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Surprise, I don't miss Costco
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:25 pm
krazykanuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Costco memberships are essentially "free" since they give a yearly rebate check based on what you spend.
That's very dependent on how much you spend and assumes you have the Executive level membership. Gold Star members don't get a rebate. Regardless I believe I save enough shopping at Costco and having the Costco Visa (generally don't use it anywhere other than Costco for gas/shopping) to more than outweigh the membership fee.

Originally Posted by MCHF
No. I believe the food court doesn't require a membership in all 50 states. Alcohol doesn't require a membership in some states. Anyone can get in with a Cash Card. You can just say you're going to customer service or you're with someone else and went in first. You can enter through the automotive dept door or just simply walk in through the exit doors.
Exactly, there are so many ways. Just mutter "I forgot my card" and walk towards the member services desk. Nobody cares. The alcohol trick is relatively little known but helpful. Used to use that in college as I was <21 but my gf was >21. So we'd enter with my membership card and then just check out separately, her with all the booze and me with everything else. They generally need a manager override for an all alcohol, non member sale, but thems the lawz. In Texas you cannot require a membership to purchase alcohol.