FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Travel Insurance Plans
View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
aroundtheworld76

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
@aroundtheworld76 Do you have any insight on the differences between Ripcord and GR?

I'm researching insurance options for some wilderness adventure travel coming up in both the US and Africa. My shortlist includes Medjet, Ripcord, GR, and International SOS. I want evacuation from the site of injury, so that rules out Medjet. International SOS sounds like a solid company, but they seem to focus on corporate services, they're pricing for individual travelers is confusing, and I just don't think leisure adventure travelers are their core market. So that narrows it down to Ripcord and GR. I've found a bunch of critical reviews of GR on the internet - mainly stating that GR is difficult to work with when something happens. I haven't found anything about Ripcord - either good or bad. I've read that Ripcord is a newer company, so the lack of complains might be a result of their newness to the market, or it might just be better service. I'd love to hear from someone with firsthand experience of their services.

Here's a helpful article for anyone doing their own research:
https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-...tion-services/

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer on the differences. I've not heard patients say a bad thing about either one. Of course, since I'm on the air ambulance side, if they're seeing me, it means that they are getting the service they paid for. I do know that GR will deploy a staffer (usually a paramedic) to the bedside to monitor care sometimes, just like Ripcord.

While I have an annual IMG policy, my work provides us all with Ripcord as well.

Interesting article. Old pictures (Airmed UK folded in 2016 and Erlanger got rid of that old Bell a decade ago), but some good information. It can be a fairly confusing world.