FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:36 am
X-ON

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by funkbandit
I might wager a guess:
Any year with MR/SPG elite status will count towards lifetime no matter how it was attained on a stand alone basis (BIB, credit cards, challenges, gifts, buybacks, etc).
The only status years that will not count are those that Marriott/Starwood granted in a way of reciprocal grant after the merger. And there's a reason for it: Stand alone MR/SPG status will be double counted towards lifetime eligibility (e.g. you can collect two plat lifetime eligible years in the 2018 calendar year). If reciprocal MR/SPG granted status would count as well, any status member could claim double counts, so MR would need to increase the eligibility thresholds for lifetime elite membership to account for this. The downside would be, that you'd need even more years to attain lifetime status if you have just recently joined or will join in the future. This is why MR wouldn't require more elite years for lifetime elite status.
The beauty of the aforementioned approach: counting years would be an almost straightforward exercise for MR and members.
Ok sounds fair, my only problem is that this is not how SPG count their elite years ... I have had SPG Platinum granted to me twice despite not qualifying those years do not count in my year total ... so if logic prevails (which it seldom does in the world of loyalty programs) legacy years from SPG should count in a similar way or alternately MR legacy years should follow the SPG definition.