FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:45 pm
AlreadyThere

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand this comment at all. The standby list is "generated" when pax start checking in (which can be prior to T-24 for connecting pax), but it is not used to process upgrades until the flight goes to the gate, which is typically inside of T-1. Prior to the flight going to the gate, upgrades are processed pursuant to the "invisible" list which, by definition, is one that we can't see (though there have been very recent reports this list, or some variant, is displayed when UA tries to induce pax to buy an upgrade at check-in).
At the time the list becomes visible, the sequence is based on the flyer's status, and the fact that the GPU behind the standby upgrade was issued from a GS account is no longer relevant. I don't know about the "invisible list" stage, but I can see that once the list is visible, I can observe where my potential family "upgradees" stand on the list, and it's well below any possible GSs.