FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:18 pm
beresford_pi

Programs: none
On Friday, 6/8/18, at about 3:30 pm, I delivered my Hertz car rental to the Long Beach CA Airport Hertz rental desk. At about 6:30 pm the same afternoon, I landed in Sacramento, CA and immediately realized I left my $400 prescription sunglasses on the floor of the trunk. Earlier in the day, I changed from a L/S button down shirt to a S/S polo shirt while standing at the open trunk. I removed the sunglasses from the shirt pocket of the L/S shirt, put the sunglasses on the floor of the trunk, put on the polo and closed the trunk lid.

When I landed in Sacramento and realized my mistake, I immediately called Hertz and was unable to speak with a human. I then went to the Hertz rental car desk at the Sacramento Airport, contacted an agent and explained my plight. The agent replied that he could not reach anyone at the Long Beach Airport rental desk. I looked at him and said, "You must be joking," and I meant it. He then picked up a phone, dialed a number and stared off in a different direction. After a minute, he hung up the phone, told me he could not reach anyone in Long Beach and began to explain how to file a lost property report on-line. I shook my head in disbelief, thanked him and walked back to my car. When I got home later that evening, I filed a lost property report on-line with Hertz. That was a week ago today. Since then, I have attempted to contact a human at Hertz and have been unable to do so. Also filed a complaint with Hotwire, who booked the Hertz rental for me. All I've received from Hertz is a half-dozen emails saying they have not recovered my sunglasses. Previously, when I rented from Enterprise and left my garage door opener in the car, getting the item back was easy-peasy - the same day! Not so with Hertz.....

I do not understand how a company that rents cars to the public does not have a plan in place to return lost property to customers in a timely and efficient manner. Even if it means that the customer will have to pay an expensive shipping fee - which I was - and still am - perfectly willing to do! After all, it was my mistake...!!!

I might never rent from Hertz again and will share this very bad experience with as many others as I can.