FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman claims UA flight attendant forced infant daughter to sit in dangerous position
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:43 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
OK...Devils Advocate here... so.... here is the airline being castigated because the FA involved apparently made an infant travel in a way that was "not safe"

Yet whenever "lap children" are discussed here we see a LOT of defence of the practice....because (I assume) the chance of ANYTHING happening is so very slim....even though I doubt ANYONE would actually suggest a child on a lap IS in any way "safe".

Conclusion? Airlines can't do anything suboptimal for child safety.... Parents CAN. Sound about right?
you said it yourself - FA (or based on my reading of the article, really GA, who apparently was pulling the authority card here) ‘made’ the infant travel in a way that was less safe. It wasn’t their decision to make...period, full stop.

What one family does vs. another isn’t really relevant...at all. This particular family purchased a seat for their infant, and rightfully so, expected their child could sit in the safest way possible. The FA/GA didn’t let that happen. It was completely wrong, presuming the seat was certified for air travel, which there doesn’t seem to be any dispute on.