FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:28 am
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you wait to August 1, it is probably guaranteed that all Hawaiian hotels, both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG, will be more expensive than they are under the present award redemption chart.
The point requirements for properties in Hawaii are often already on the high side in relation to cash rates. I won't be surprised if the best properties to go up, but current Marriott Category 7 (35,000 points) and SPG Category 6 (12,000 Starpoints x 3 = 36,000 points) properties are likely to go to new Category 5 (35,000 points). Some properties might even go down, especially those that would not otherwise be competitive. I could be wrong.

The new category assignments are supposed to be released this month (June 2018). It will then be easy to decide whether it's better to book under current redemption requirements or to wait until August. It might be a good idea to book now, and then to cancel and rebook in August if that can be done with fewer points.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would recommend your family stay at the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, by the B.Y.U. campus.
I've only driven by the Courtyard Oahu North Shore. Yes, it's a completely different experience on that part of Oahu. Hawaii Magazine has an article about it: https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...rth-shore-oahu

The town of Laie, where the Courtyard Oahu North Shore is located, is dry -- as in "no alcohol," not as in "no rain." For some, that makes no difference. For others, who dream of tropical drinks by the resort pool, that would be a big disappointment.

Because this thread was veered off to be a comparison of more than just the Marriott and Courtyard on Waikiki, allow me to mention Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Although, it's a Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare) resort, rooms are often available through Marriott.com, sometimes even with points. It's a wonderful report at a location with possibly the best climate on the island. It's a fine starting point for drives to the North Shore.