FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman claims UA flight attendant forced infant daughter to sit in dangerous position
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:31 am
geminidreams

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

And/or, unlike the FA/GA, someone looked at what happened and realized they were 100% in the wrong.

My question is, if the FAs are primarily there for our safety, why do they not know the rules? And if they do, as it says somewhere she knew but said the GA has ultimate authority (which shouldn’t be true, it should be up to the captain), why isn’t a GA minding their own business instead of interfering in an onboard situation which is utterly and completely outside their responsibility and likely expertise, as the GAs actions clearly show. In fact, why did FA not involve the captain here.

I get the pax wanted to get home, but if this was me, the appropriate thing would be to discuss with the purser, and if it the GA was still claiming authority, to the supervisor (though realistically, it should be the captain). If this was me, I’m also getting off that plane and discussing with airport supervisors. Our car seat (infant seat) can only be used facing backwards - that’s how infant seats are (though you could use a convertible, but still not safe enough forward facing at 8 months), so there’s no actual way to use it forward facing.

All it takes is a bit of common sense - this stuff shouldn’t be happening - it’s ridiculous.

No they were not 100% wrong. A car seat in a car is secured in a frame that is locked down. That does not exist in an aircraft so the alignment does not really make much difference. If the baby is strapped in the capsule the capsule will provide as much protection in either direction and unless you have a bundle of crash tests done like they do for cars you would be hard pressed to prove different.