FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Travel Insurance Plans
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:19 am
itsme

Programs: united airlines
medical advice and assistance in out of way places

I always figure that if you can afford to self-insure, you should do it rather than contribute to an insurer's profits. There are exceptions to that general approach like auto insurance, since the insurance companies have the experienced adjustors and attorneys to protect your (and their) interests against other parties. Also, you often must have coverage to get a mortgage, and insuror may be able to do better with repair/replacement costs.

I have traveled a great deal, but no experience with trip insurance because always figured I could cover myself, am leery of insurance companies, etc. Getting older now and starting to focus on other than straight $$$ replacement issues. In particular, who is going to help us with practical issues of getting out of a jam when overseas, especially if not in a "convenient" place to be in one (e.g., US, Canada, Western Europe, OZ and NZ.) So I'd like to know about providers of medical advice and assistance to those travelers in need of it. I am a retired physician, so know more than the average bear, but don't know lay of the land and providers in foreign locales; how to navigate arrangements for transfers by air or other means, evacuations, etc.

Who could provide me what I am after directly, that is without going through "intermediaries". All part of insurance packages or sometimes stand-along services that can be had on and as needed basis quickly and reliably? Who does one turn to, and how can they be checked out in advance?

[I have Medicare A, but no Medicare B because too expensive with IIRMA, and my health insurance is sufficient at home and abroad.]

Buy the coverage sought on an episodic basis or an annual or longer one? Any companies to avoid, or superior to the competition, especially in quality of services when needed?

And premium credit cards (though not too expensive fees) that are good for travel insurance of various sorts, including medical/accident coverage? Accidental death/dismemberment coverage, like AmEx's, since otherwise don't have life coverage, in part because too expensive given age and medical underwriting issues?

Thanks for any advice.