FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Too old to travel?
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:55 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Athena53
I learned early on that as you age, you can still travel but you might need more expensive services (taking a private car from the airport instead of public transportation, getting a hotel very close to the action or at least to the nearest subway, etc.)
Yes! This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I mentioned that my mother-in-law travels well in her late 70s by making plans that accommodate her needs. For example, to avoid knee pain she spends up for business class or at least premium economy where she can stretch her legs comfortably. To minimize lifting heavy weights she checks a suitcase, even on shorter trips, and takes only what's most important in a small carry-on. Like you, she spends for door-to-door car or van service rather than lug her bags around on public transit. She checks connection times when booking to avoid short connections; she knows she's much too old to dash through the terminal. She books only mid-range or better hotels; no cheapo motels with their often saggy or lumpy beds. Some might scoff at this as having expensive tastes, but for her it's the difference between being able to travel (and function when she arrives!) or not.