FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangladesh, Burma and Beijing the Long Way (with stops in Laos, Singapore and Tokyo)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:51 am
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What was the cost like per day? The days of Burma being dirt cheap are probably gone, at least for foreigners. I would imagine it is close to Malaysia in pricing now, though Malaysia is still cheap. Just not dirt cheap.
Costs were very cheap, but I wouldn't say dirt cheap. I posted the minibar menu, which gives you an example of pricing. Minibar at a 4-5* boutique hotel in EU/NA would be at least 4-5x more expensive.

Overall, things like food and transportation were among the cheapest in the region. Definitely cheaper than Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia. Though hotels in Malaysia (KL) tend to be quite cheap (especially relative to quality). I believe housing costs in Burma are somewhat expensive, which is probably part of the reason why the hotels aren't dirt cheap. Perhaps that will change as more international hotels open in the city.

Some examples from Burma:

4AM taxi to airport - 15km / 20min: $7.50 USD flat rate
Shwedagon Pagoda tourist entrance fee: $7.50 USD
Lunch at a casual restaurant with table service: $3.50 USD per person
Dinner at hotel restaurant: $15 USD

It's certainly possible to eat cheaper meals and do know that Yangon is by far the most expensive part of the country. Prices in other parts of Burma will be even lower.