FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangladesh, Burma and Beijing the Long Way (with stops in Laos, Singapore and Tokyo)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:16 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by swingaling
The hotel is in a wealthy area of Yangon, close to the Shwedagon Pagoda. There are a bunch of (what passes for) mansions in the vicinity. Being outside the newer downtown core, there are no sidewalks so you really need to drive everywhere. That being the case, the hotel was close enough to downtown to be convenient and taxis are incredibly cheap. Newer, larger international chain hotels like the Pan Pacific and Lotte are substantially farther away, basically in the middle of nowhere.

It may be a 4-5 star hotel, but I wouldn't describe it as a luxury property. So if you're expecting the Four Seasons, you'll be disappointed. But I also only paid $100 per night, which is about the cost of a 2-star hotel back home. If you want luxury, you'd be better off with Strand or Belmond for 2-3x more. As for the wood coloring, I didn't notice and didn't care one iota...
What was the cost like per day? The days of Burma being dirt cheap are probably gone, at least for foreigners. I would imagine it is close to Malaysia in pricing now, though Malaysia is still cheap. Just not dirt cheap.