FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best credit card combo for cash back?
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:58 pm
halamadrid

I would recommend the US Bank Cash+ credit card. You have to choose categories every quarter for 5% cash back, and then you get to choose one category for 2% back. The 2% category options are not great and you probably do better with other cards, but some of the 5% categories can be useful. They now have a 5% category for utilities (electric, gas, trash pick-up), which I find really useful as those bills are normally not covered by other cards. They also have department stores (Saks, etc.), Electronic Stores (Best Buy), Fast Food (including places like Panera, Five Guys), and other random categories like furniture stores, clothing and fitness. If you can plan ahead and you have big purchases coming up (buying new furniture or getting an expensive anniversary present at a Department Store), you can select that category ahead of time before the beginning of the quarter. There is a $2K cap (combined) on the 5% categories, but since I use it for utilities and random categories I never find myself hitting the cap. I've gotten the cash back deposited to my account and I believe they do statement credits, but I'm not sure. Right not they even have a sign-up bonus ($150 cash after $500 spend).