FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangladesh, Burma and Beijing the Long Way (with stops in Laos, Singapore and Tokyo)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:38 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Do you know if they had an exterior viewing platform or deck?
Balcony rooms are available on the lower levels of the hotel, though the views are substantially worse. A tall concrete wall being the primary "view". Not sure If there's any viewing platforms near the roof. I believe some of the suites also have balconies, though the cost is substantially more.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What was the location like? It looks a little tired. While it has all of the features and amenities, they are fairly basic and not necessarily luxury. The woods are all slightly different colors and tone.
The hotel is in a wealthy area of Yangon, close to the Shwedagon Pagoda. There are a bunch of (what passes for) mansions in the vicinity. Being outside the newer downtown core, there are no sidewalks so you really need to drive everywhere. That being the case, the hotel was close enough to downtown to be convenient and taxis are incredibly cheap. Newer, larger international chain hotels like the Pan Pacific and Lotte are substantially farther away, basically in the middle of nowhere.

It may be a 4-5 star hotel, but I wouldn't describe it as a luxury property. So if you're expecting the Four Seasons, you'll be disappointed. But I also only paid $100 per night, which is about the cost of a 2-star hotel back home. If you want luxury, you'd be better off with Strand or Belmond for 2-3x more. As for the wood coloring, I didn't notice and didn't care one iota...