FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you driven after long flight ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:19 pm
nd2010

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I just ponied up the $$....well..the company $$...to buy a commuter flight SAN-LAX and back.

I will be going out to HKG and BKK, and am home based in SAN. While the prospect of driving up from SAN to LAX on the outbound is fine, the thought of driving back down to SAN after the return..a total of 17 hours flying and roughly 21 hours travel time including layovers and a 2 hour car ride in Thailand is simply too much for me to consider. Even though I am in Buisness class with a lie flat on both segments. I have been drowsy behind the wheel from shorter trips than that.

I would seriously rather get to LAX and wait 3 hours for a flight to SAN than immediately drive the 2ish hours after that. It's a safety issue for me and for other people on the road.

My travelling companion though, also based in SAN, saw $$ when he worked out that the company would reimburse him for the mileage. He will be driving it when he returns, and I will bet dollars to donuts the couple of hundred he gets from the mileage will seem not worth it during that drive. He would never admit it of course!
you could have just ridden to san diego with him.