FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hang Onto Your PED's
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:27 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by HurricaneSonic
If your phone falls between the seats, please dont try to to retrieve it yourself

I'm sure many of you have noticed this recent addition to the regular pre-flight announcements. I'm assuming there was a specific event/lawsuit that prompted this... anyone have any details?

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I can't believe AC hasn't provided a solution while still making the customer pay for it....

Velcro strips! $10.99 per pair. Or even just one part with the other strategically placed on certain surfaces for customer convenience.

In all seriousness, I think a little care will cover the vast majority of issues like this. The baby smacking the phone/tablet away not so much. But for the rest, a little common sense...
​​
(bolding mine)
@HurricaneSonic @StuckInYYZ

I've heard the announcement as part of the pre-departure message on every single TPAC for quite some time now. In multiple languages.

I give Air Canada credit for including the message. None of that will stop stupid people who think their devices will magically stay in place when the aircraft starts climbing after take-off. Or during turbulence.

I've seen crew on the floor with flashlights, searching under the J seats trying to recover these items. I don't think the cabin crew should have to spend time searching for devices where there are preventative behavioural options available.

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...s-class-seats/

Personal electronic devices have a way of slipping out of passengers’ hands and into the crevices of business class seats, which can create a headache for airline staffers, who must retrieve the PEDs; and in worst-case scenarios, a fire hazard if they are crushed within the seating mechanism before being detected.

Grappling with this common problem, Air Canada has launched an internal project to study ways to catch passengers’ gadgets when they disappear into the carrier’s lie-flat business class seats, Runway Girl Network has learned.

The airline is looking to add nets to the underlying structures of the seats “without impacting the product”, said Air Canada VP, products Andrew Yiu. “It’s easy to say, ‘get the flight attendants and they’ll get it’. But in most cases, it’s still very difficult to do so.”
Nets are a nice idea of course, especially in PE and Y. I see many people put their devices in seat-back pockets, which isn't an option in the 777/788/9 J cabins. But the covered side table is there and that hard top never opens as a result of climb, descent or turbulence.

Other low tech options are: hold your phone, put it in your laptop bag/ purse/ under-seat carry-on etc.

Of course then we may have to deal with the overheated phone battery challenge.

(Personal anecdotes from recent flights: I've seen a few mature adults nearly in tears or freak out when their phones slid off the side table and under the seat. One was able to retrieve it himself and one had to get the help of cabin crew. I asked them why the thought keeping their phone on the table or unsecured was a good idea. I'll bet neither of them will do this again.)