FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prague: Tourist Safety & Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:46 am
OB one
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I too was momentarily outraged at some of the beer prices in the more touristy places -- until I realized it is still way cheaper than I'd pay at home. The "outrage" first came when I saw a Klášter světlý leźák for 69 Kč for a .4l at Fat Cat Pub in the heart of Tourist Central when the day before I'd had the same beer at Klášterní pivnice in Holešovice for 24 Kč for a full .5l

A bit of self promotion: beer places I like are at www.BeerGuidePRG.com
I know the feeling well. I usually stay in Dejvicke area and was downtown one day just walking and soon ended up back at U Veverky near Hradcanske for some tanku pilsner at a more reasonable 39 kc. Love your link, I have been to many of those places but will try a few more.

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
On another note, there was a craft beer bar back then, way before it was popular. Near the city center, small place, but I think associated with a restaurant. I think it was on a corner. For the life of me, I can't find it. Any ideas?
Not sure when it opened, but perhaps U Kunstatu? That and Strahov Monastery are my quick recommendations when friends ask me for craft beer recommendations.

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I was in Prague in October 2009 and there wasn't a whole lot of "craft" beer. The corner part eliminates most places I can think of. There is a brewpub Pivovarský Dům on Lípová (Nové Město) that is on a corner. Also Ferdinanda (taproom for Pivovar Ferdinand, which is an older brewery but does brew some "crafty" beers) on Opletalova near Václavské náměstí.

Not quite in the city center, U Slovanské Lípy on Koněvova in Žižkov is restaurant with good beer. I believe sometime in 2010 they changed their name from Koutská pivnice.

Places that had "crafty" beer in 2009 but weren't on corners were places like Pivovarský Klub on Křižíkova in Karlín (related to Pivovarský Dům), Novoměstský Pivovar (a brewpub) on Vodičkova, and the original "Craft Beer Pub" První Pivní Tramway in Záběhlice but you wouldn't forget that one -- not anywhere near the center and literally in an old tram building at the Spořilov tram station.

Somewhere I have my notes from my 2009 visits but we didn't visit a lot of "craft" beer type places, mostly pubs that had beers from some or another regional brewery.
Thanks. Pivovarsky Klub is a frequent stop especially since the State Opera has been undergoing renovations as most shows have been moved to Karlin Theater, right across the street. Good for pre and post libation. My complaint is there are too few draft beers on tap. There are plenty of bottles but I can get a Duvel at home.

I like Novomestsky Pivovar and actually know the brew master that set the place up when it opened. Decent food too.

As with the world, the increasing number of craft beer places is happening at the same time there is major consolidation in the world beer breweries. Pilsner Urquell is now owned by Asahi, Staropramen is owned by Molson Coors.

Originally Posted by farci

If value for money is your criterion try
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a.html?m=19905
Aaaaah, at the Hippopotamus. Problem is getting a seat. I have been there at 11:15 am waiting outside just so we could get a seat. Man, did that ever make me feel like beer might just be a problem. U Cerneho Vola is a similar type place imho. Good cheap beer with no frills. Don't expect a conversation with the barkeep.