Thread: Cathay or Eva?
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:59 pm
evergrn

Programs: United, Hilton
I've flown both BR and CX on YVR-SIN within the last 1.5 years. All Y.

BR was the more recent trip, but it was 10-abreast 777-300ER. On that same trip, I did do CX just on the SIN-HKG portion on the way back and that was a 3-3-3 on 777-300; probably just about the most comfortable and spacious 777-300 remaining. We had 4 seats, and I don't think there was an IFE box on any of our seats. That flight felt exquisite relative to YVR<>TPE or TPE>SIN or HKG>TPE on BR.

CX was ~1.5yrs ago and, while I don't remember which aircraft that was, seating was definitely comfortable along the lines of the aforementioned SIN-HKG flight. Just make sure you know which aircraft it is for your particular CX flight.

As for food, the TPAC portion is about the same between BR and CX. At least the dinner entrees were both tasty. For the intra-Asia portion, CX was better than BR. Maybe HKG just has better catering than TPE.

Only reason for the OP to choose BR over CX is if he/she is a Star Alliance person. Even then, most BR coach fares that I purchase end up earning 0-50% of the miles (UA miles in my case) and, based on my UA valuation, the miles earned from flying BR on that route would only be worth about $120 assuming 50%. So that wouldn't even make up the $200 difference.